Saturday, September 15, 2007

• Gone Are The Days...

Gone are the days...
When, I rode a cycle to my school.
In case I had a puncture,
I’d walk without losing my cool.
Today things are much easier for me,
I have a big car… all mine.
But, sitting in the AC too
A little traffic jam makes me whine!!

Gone are the days...
When, I waited eagerly for festivals to come.
Granny used to give us a rupee each
To eat out and have fun.
Today I celebrate all festivals
Sending emails to friends & family
Spend thousands to eat out lavishly now
But I miss that samosa worth one rupee

Gone are the days...
When I flew my kite... up, up so high
Just seeing it soar above the birds
I could feel that I could fly
Today I fly so often,
Official trips rule my days.
Soaring above the birds isn't fun anymore
Heck! Such are life's ways!

Gone are the days...
When summer holidays was D-event of the year
Playing football in the scorching heat
Dehydration & sunburn... What's that dear?
Now during summers, I take special care
Not to step out much in the sun
And sometimes, if I do go out,
A sunscreen lotion protects me from sunburn

I know those days will never return
Can only recall them and feel good
Those sure were the golden days
But life will move on as it should
If ever in my present life,
My past invites me over to her place
I will kick off my burdens and take the plunge
My golden childhood I will embrace

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Subu,

After reading "gone are the days" I did take a walk through back in my childhood. The honesty and simplicity which has been used to write this is amazing. The words are very simple yet convey a deep meaning letting us know what we did as a kid, the carefree childhood our parents gave us and that what we should try and give to our kids!

I am sure you know that you have the art of putting together thoughts and words in a nice manner therefore pls continue to do so....

Cheers
Sameer Srivastav
May 26th 2009
Pune, India

Satyen said...

Nice poem buddy! didn't know that we share common interests here...

I liked your treating past as feminine, i am sure you love both, the past and females...carry on with good writings...

Unknown said...

"GONE ARE THE DAYS", Bro each story or each instance of life written by You carries a beautiful meaning. To add to this the Poem was "a cherry on the cake." these words put together by you beautifully served can never be ignored by anyone.