Thursday, August 18, 2016

The avid gymmer

Whenever I managed to show up at the gym in the 5 to 6 AM slot, on every such day, be it rainy or cold or weekend, he would be there. After almost a year of only non-verbal greetings exchanged between us, I asked him the 'how' question about his consistency.

"Two years ago, while returning home at 6 AM, I spotted her near the next block," he said. "It was a rainy morning; she and the big bag she was carrying were drenched. I couldn't resist from offering her a lift." Like an adolescent-in-love, he asked me, "Would you like to meet her?" Reluctantly, I accompanied him in the return trip.

"There she is... the reason behind my consistency," as we approached the next block, he said, pointing to a nearly 80 year old lady, wearing tattered clothes, gazing at our direction with anticipation. She hunched under the weight of her bag.

"She sells vegetables on the footpath outside my apartment and used to walk five kilometers every day, be it rainy or cold or weekend, to reach there. On any morning, if I feel too lazy to set out for the gym, the image of her dejected face kicks me out of my bed," added the avid gymmer.


#AbridgedTrueStory

No comments: